Thursday, March 10, 2011

Why must work insist on getting in the way?

Since starting this blog I've had a lot more enthusiasm for the writing craft and I've actually started to think of myself as an actual writer rather than someone who wants to be. 
However, finding the time to actually fit it in is another challenge entirely.  There is this one little thing, albeit very annoying, that seems to be a constant barrier and that is my actual work.
I think I didn't leave until 7pm last night and by the time I got home I was extremely tired to say the least and after sorting out some dinner and putting my 2-year-old to bed the last thing I wanted to be doing was sitting down and getting my brain working again.
Nevertheless I managed to get down and do some even if it was only a few hundred words.  I was in a bit of a daze though so goodness only knows what I've written.  It will make for interesting reviewing later!

This does seem to be a continuing pattern, going to work, getting home, sorting everyone out, sitting down and having a rest, bed.  It seems like a vicious cycle at times but I'm trying to push through to the other side and fit in a little bit of writing here and there and plan to gradually build on the amount of time I can commit regularly. 
My plan is to set aside at least one hour each evening (easier said than done believe me!) to get something done, whether its brain storming for ideas, writing story drafts or working on my WB assignments and see how much I can fit in each hour.  I just have to make sure I don't look about the house too much as I'm bound to find something that needs tidying or cleaning!
I don't know about anyone else but I find the hardest part is actually sitting down and getting my netbook out to do something.  I purposefully switch the wireless off so that I have no distractions and can just focus on the work.  Its a good plan in theory, I just need to work on putting it in to practice.  I'll let you know how I get on with that!

Anyway, back to the grindstone.  Lunch is now over and I have to get my brain back into work-mode.  Its so much more peacful in creative-mode!

Until next time readers!

H x

No comments:

Post a Comment