Friday, March 11, 2011

A change is as good as a rest

I have an idea for a novel that I have been working on for quite a while now.  So far I have spent a lot of time thinking about the main characters and building up their backgrounds, working out how they all fit with each other in the story and how exactly they will be interacting together.  In addition I have been developing the overall story arc as well as the settings where everything is going to take place. 
After doing all of this I have a pretty good idea in my mind what the story is about and where I'd like it to go.  The trouble is now I've spent so long developing everything I find I don't actually know how to start writing it!  For a little while I was a bit put off by this and the thought of progressing any more with it was a daunting one.  I was beginning to wonder if I can't actually sit down and convey the story into words, how on earth do I expect to be any good at writing in general.

After some reflection I decided to leave it for a bit and try and work on something else.  I've got the bare bones down of what I want to happen so when I return to it picking up the story shouldn't be too difficult.
I started to work on something else, a short story that I can possibly use for a competition I'd like to enter, and lo and behold before I knew it I'd written nearly 1000 words in one sitting!  Simply by turning my focus to something new and completely different the creative cogs have started to turn again!

I'll give it another few days while I develop my short story, I'm quite pleased with it so far, and then I'll look at picking up the novel again.  Maybe I'll be able to come at it from a fresh perspective and the ideas will just flood out.

Until next time readers!

H xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment