Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Keeping an eye on word counts.....

Hello everyone!  It seems an age since I last left a post, seem to have been doing too many things at once!

So I've been looking through some competitions that I've been thinking of entering and they vary in there short story length from the usual 1500-1700 words right down to 250 words.  I've been having little brain storming sessions to get some ideas together on what kinds of things I could write about but I find when it comes to actually writing the story I seem to concentrate more on my word count than what I'm actually writing.  I know its completely the wrong way to go about doing things but I used to be the same when I did assignments for my degree.  First thing I looked at was the word limit and that niggled at the back of my mind the whole time I worked on anything.

I think that I'm going to have to set myelf the task of trying to ignore the word count completely and just write until I'm done, editing down (or up!) to the specified word count once I've finished.
I've found that getting a full and descriptive synopsis helps, I get down most of what I want to happen and then its just a case of filling in the gaps and getting the story to flow nicely.
I wonder what techniques everyone else employs when they start tackling a piece of writing.  Through reading different author interviews it seems there are endless ways to do it!

Until next time readers!

H xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment